Flexible working hours legislation change – are you prepared?
Are you aware of the flexible working hours legislation change? Are you prepared for what is now legal?
On Monday, 24th July, the bill, granting employees the right to request – flexible working hours, successfully obtained Royal Assent. This legal milestone marks a significant advancement in the scope of flexible working hours.
Alongside the measures in the Bill, millions of workers will be given the right to request flexible working from day one of a new job. This will bring an estimated 2.2 million more employees in scope of the entitlement following the change in regulations.
This flexible working hours legislation change promotes inclusivity and work-life balance for everyone.
Flexible working hours legislation – what has changed?
The measures the government is committing to in full will:
- Remove the 26-week qualifying period before employees can request flexible working, making it a day-one right
- Require employers to consult with their employees, as a means of exploring the available options, before rejecting a flexible working request
- Allow employees to make 2 flexible working requests in any 12-month period (rather than the current 1 request).
- Require employers to respond to requests within 2 months, down from 3
- Remove the requirement for employees to set out how the effects of their flexible working request might be dealt with by their employer
Flexible working doesn’t just mean a combination of working from home and in the office – it can mean employees making use of job-sharing, flexitime, and working compressed, annualised, or staggered hours.
Benefits of the changes for the employee
The raft of new measures will give employees greater access to flexibility over where, when, and how they work, leading to happier, more productive staff. Flexible working has been found to help employees balance their work and home life, especially supporting those who have commitments or responsibilities such as caring for children or vulnerable people.
Benefits of flexible working for the employer
The benefits of flexible working for organisations include:
- Improved work-life balance: Flexible working arrangements empower employees to better manage their personal commitments, resulting in reduced stress and increased job satisfaction.
- Increased employee engagement: Offering flexibility in working hours demonstrates trust and fosters a sense of autonomy, leading to higher levels of engagement and productivity.
- Enhanced attraction and retention: Providing flexible working options can make your organisation more appealing to top talent and improve retention rates, particularly among individuals who value work-life balance.
- Diverse and inclusive workforce: Flexible working arrangements can remove barriers for individuals with caregiving responsibilities, disabilities, or other personal circumstances, leading to a more diverse and inclusive workforce.
Flexible working hours legislation change is transforming the way businesses operate and the expectations of employees. As HR and business leaders, it is essential to embrace this shift, adapt policies and procedures, and leverage the benefits that flexible working arrangements can bring.
How can P&P Support your organisation during the flexible working hours legislation change?
At P&P, we are committed to supporting managers and employees as they navigate the evolving landscape of flexible working. We provide coaching and webinars specifically tailored to address the unique challenges and opportunities associated with flexible working arrangements.
By participating in our webinars, both managers and employees will gain valuable insights and practical strategies for thriving in a flexible work environment. We believe that by equipping individuals with the knowledge and tools to effectively manage flexibility, organisations can drive overall productivity and promote a culture of inclusivity.
Work family balance coaching
Our team of work-family balance one-to-one coaches are dedicated to helping professionals achieve harmony between their personal and professional life, resulting in enhanced well-being, productivity, and overall satisfaction. Our qualified coaches are professionals with diverse backgrounds, ranging from psychology and neurodiversity to organisational development and leadership. With a wealth of coaching knowledge and expertise, they can provide a supportive and facilitative space, for employees to reflect on personal challenges and behaviours which can impact work-life balance, such as time management, stress management, communication skills, and boundary-setting.
Our mission is to empower parents and professionals to lead more fulfilling lives, where they feel more in control of their choices and actions, leading to increased happiness, productivity, and overall satisfaction. We have witnessed countless success stories where individuals have experienced positive transformations in their relationships, health, and career trajectory after engaging with one of our coaches.
If your organisation wants to support employees to seek and sustain a better work-life balance, reach out to us: https://parentandprofessional.co.uk/contact-us. Together, we can unlock your full potential and cultivate a life that encompasses both professional success and personal well-being.
Managing a flexible and family-friendly team webinar for managers
Managing flexibility is the top leadership skill for 2023. This webinar equips managers with the knowledge and skills necessary to create flexible and family-friendly team cultures that attract and retain diverse talent. Through interactive discussions, case studies, and best practices, managers will gain confidence in managing flexibility to promote a supportive work environment, resulting in empowered teams and optimised talent retention.
Managing a flexible career webinar for individuals
This comprehensive webinar is designed to assist employees at any stage of their flexible career journey, whether they are just starting out or have been navigating this workstyle for some time. We provide practical advice and proven techniques for enhancing productivity, career growth, and overall satisfaction while working flexibly. By equipping your employees with the right strategies and tools, they will become more efficient and effective while working flexibly, benefiting your organisation’s overall productivity.
These webinars can be run in 2 different ways according to your desired outcome. Choose between:
- Small-group (up to 12), discussion-based, self-reflective, coaching in nature webinars – where attendees share their experiences, tips with others. Outcome: enhanced network, relationships, community, connection
- Large-group (up to 100), listen in to and watch a presentation, chat via the discussion forum, Q&A at the end, session recorded, takeaways provided. Outcome: practical tips, inspiration, motivation, flexibility to listen to the recording later/again
The webinars are presented by experts in their fields, who aim to inspire and entertain, as well as provide practical tools and takeaways to achieve wellbeing at work. The webinars can be tailored to organisational needs.
To book a webinar for your organisation visit: https://parentandprofessional.co.uk/contact-us/.